Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Emotions


Welcome to my whine party. Want some cheese?

There are times when the phrase "emotional female" is far too accurate a description for me. I have been accused in my life of being cold, unfeeling, an Ice Queen, a Bitch, unyielding, invulnerable, unapproachable, uncaring, unemotional... and while I can be those things at times, most often it is simply a cover.

I actually wish that I was unfeeling. I tend to feel things TOO deeply, which is why the unfeeling mask comes down... to disguise vulnerability. I am "The Strong One". The Strong One is not allowed to crack, can't break, must maintain at all times. Being a mother, I also must maintain for my son. He has to have a strong example, to understand that when adversity hits, you can't just curl up and crumble... you have to face the problem and find away to deal with it... that's what we call survival.

In that scenario, one also finds that one must guard severely. Can't let someone get too close, because they might find that chip in the porcelain that allows them to get in and see the turmoil beneath the paint. Once that happens, well... it can all come pouring out. Who the heck wants to deal with THAT??? Hell, I don't!! That's why it's all so carefully locked away, thank you. But... what happens when it's all too close to the surface, and it starts to "leak" out? What do you do when something just hits you... a dream, a situation, an incident... that just makes it impossible to shield?

Well, when you're "The Strong One", people don't really hang out thinking that you NEED them to help. You've got it under CONTROL... it's all wrapped up with a tidy little bow, in order, in place, neatly categorized and labeled... right? Not so much... not all the time. And The Strong One can't ask.. can't stand there and yell HEEEEEELP!!! Nope.. that would be... "weak*. (Oh, I never said it was logical, did I???)

So, the last couple of days have been chipping at my porcelain. My emotions, normally so masterfully controlled, are right at the surface. I feel... raw. I'd like to be able to chalk it up to PMS, but that truly inconvenient time frame has passed and is not scheduled for the next arrival for a while yet. I suppose it's just the things I've been facing lately, building up to a boiling point... I'm not letting myself really deal with some of these feelings fully, because they're deeper than I want to admit (and I can't do anything to change them), or they are simply too overwhelming to handle in the time I have available and allotted for emotional meltdowns. *snort* Oh, I could go there... I could cry, scream, pound on the walls... throw a gloriously emotional tantrum that will turn my nose and eyes all red and puffy, give me a headache and make my son think his mom has finally gone completely 'round the bend...

...or I can move on to the next "thing" I have to do, put a patch on the chip and deal with it later, when I have no choice but to face the reality of love, loss, pain, fear, grief, anger... in the meantime shielding those poor unfortunates around me that have to actually speak to me on a daily basis from the truth... that "The Strong One" is a sham.

So, somebody tell me a freakin' joke or something to get me out of this funk, ok?? I hate days like this... they do come on occasion, and I'd really like to just get it over with and move on to the laughter. It's almost "the Lusty Month of May", and that sounds like a hell of a lot more fun. Shouldn't we be talking Lust instead of this deep crap? Sheesh, what's WRONG with this blogger that she can't lighten up for a dang second, huh???? :)

3 comments:

  1. well, I can relate on many of the same levels, being that I kept up the same facade for many years, always being called the "Rock-n-Roll Bitch" if you remember. But being perceived as a bitch isn't always a bad thing either ;-> On the other hand, it is very difficult to show vulnerability once you live under any type of label that defines a strong, confident woman. It's like somehow because we're able to deal with the shit life throws at us and can think on our feet (part of the survival mode you spoke of) and get thru what might crush others' spines, we're not supposed to have a breakdown at some point, whether truly deserved or just because we want to have one damnit! I had my breakdown around 2002 after the car wreck left me bruised and broken both physically and emotionally. The kids saw it, went thru it, dealt with it. At times I felt very out of control...like someone else was scripting my life and I was just along for the ride. Oh boy, what a freakin ride! But you know what, going thru that and being open with the kids about what I was feeling, helped all of us because I didn't feel like I had to "hide" from them or be perfect for the outside world. Hell, I cried at work so many times, I lost count. At least once a week for months. So believe me when I say that not only can I relate to your stream of conciousness, but I've lived it, my Aries sister. Can I get an amen from the back pew??!!

    Now as to a joke...

    If you ever feel a little bit stupid, just dig this up and read it again; you'll begin to think you're a genius!

    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

    (On September 17, 1994, Alabama's Heather Whitestone was selected as Miss America 1995.)
    Question: If you could live forever, would you and why?
    Answer: "I would not live forever, because we should not live forever, because if we were supposed to live forever, then we would live forever, but we cannot live forever, which is why I would not live forever,"
    --Miss Alabama in the 1994 Miss USA contest.

    PS We have pretty sturdy shoulders over here....any time :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. There is strength in weakness and weakness in strength.

    I know this may sound trite, but meditate on it awhile. It's true. The toughest warrior has an achilles heel. The mighty must have compassion and the meek must possess fortitude.

    Your dilemma is not a new one, but it is one I understand well. The only way to heal is through the pain and we do not grow when we are safe within our comfort zones.

    There's a shoulder and a hug here anytime you need one. I try not to ask for much of your time because I know that, like myself, you are booked!

    Hmmm . . . staying busy sure is one way to postpone dealing with this stuff, eh? No accident we're both working six jobs! lol

    I love you, Anne!
    xoxo
    mediatrix

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's the ladies day to respond, evidently. :)

    I know you both have had your share of trials and tribulations, and can relate to the thoughts expressed. I appreciate the support, the insight... and the back pew revival. ;-) AMEN!!!!

    But, oh, that poor, poor girl... Miss America, really? This is your brain on public education.... heaven help us.

    ReplyDelete