Thursday, May 1, 2008

Words

**DISCLAIMER** No dictionaries were utilized or (by extension) harmed in the creation of this post. While some mischievous metaphors may mix (alliteratively), participles may dangle and infinitives are quite often split, no serious lasting harm was inflicted on nouns, adjectives or verbs when avoidable. It's Gerund season, though, so no helping that. ;-) Creative license, however, is liberally applied. This implies, during certain moments, that strict rules of grammar may be thoughtfully sacrificed in favor of making the greater point or defining the bigger picture.

Today, I revel in the glorification of the English language. More specifically, I bask in the glow of the individual words that comprise the greater verbiage. Each syllable is a note in a musical composition, the initial verse sung for the auditory receiver with the delicacy of a tender, whispering kiss from a shy lover.

You have undoubtedly noticed, from my brief yet illustrative opening paragraph, that I have a fondness for stringing words together. I have been told by some, over time, that I have a measure of talent in this area. The final judgment is always delivered by the reader, of course, though the weight of the opinion must be measured against the relative etymological intelligence of said reader. One not having insight into the true sense of the words "penned" may have a skewed sense of understanding, thereby coloring their interpretation.

I have had lengthy discourse with those who share my fondness for vocabulary, though I might humbly state that few of my acquaintance can (or would want to) stand toe to toe... and less than one hand's count can surpass my usage. Granted, there are indefatigable numbers whose abilities far exceed my meager grasp... I simply do not have the pleasure of counting them among those with whom I am acquainted.

During these disquisitions, I am confronted with moments when my own edification is the focal point, as opposed to my enlightenment of others. I find these singular points in time significant, as I am ever eager to enjoy the absorption of a previously unused utterance. And, in the midst of one particular soliloquist's clever musings, I find my head oft-turned by his unique parlance.

There are multitudinous methods utilized to express thought through language, though I will only concentrate on the two most in opposition. Unlike present company, there are those for whom the niggardly approach to communication is most efficacious. Those misers only release a fraction of the beauty that could be enjoyed by employing our most beloved adjectives and adverbs. An occasional preposition is as flamboyant as they may attempt, and only when transition is required.

Then, there are those with whom I share a common bond. Those with a predisposition to verbosity, who love nothing more than the ceaseless combination of perception altering descriptives... the heightened sense and flavor of patois that nears orgiastic proportions when exhibited with unrivaled expertise. I am atingle at the very consideration of such a state.

For today, I will conclude my dissertation with heartfelt thanks if you have continued to imbibe my contemplation of vocabulary. Do not hesitate to provide comments in kind to express your own feeling on the subject. ;-)

2 comments:

  1. Declarative excess, madam. Certainly you know at least more than a handful of skilled wordwrights (do you like that one? I made it up, but it certainly bears an air of verisimilitude, doesn't it?).

    While I confess to a particular pleasure taken in using words not commonly employed, the real value of an extensive vocabulary is, it seems to me, the verbal precision, the surgical articulation achieved by use of the correct word, not merely the ability to obfuscate when convenient. Although, as I consider, such obfuscatory skills have served me well over time. I would, of course, never acknowledge my own brief and infrequent forays into mendacity, were I publicly called to account for them.

    And so, I say to you, "PHHHHHTTTT!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leave it to you, Bill, to take the road less traveled... one similar to a Pythonesque Lane. (how do you like THAT one??)

    For one of two that I know who enjoys the phrase "eschew obfuscation", I have seen you wield that sword with great dexterity... ambi, even, if you catch my drift. ;-)

    I seem to recall a certain amount of amusement, nay, childish GLEE when discerning that the recipient of a particularly stinging comment did not even comprehend the jab to which they had been subjected.

    Your reputation, Sir, has grown to a point that almost matches your ego... infamous. ;-) When I am hearing others discuss memories of their own humiliation by your skillful linguistics with FONDNESS, I know that I have truly stepped into The Twilight Zone.

    "PHHHHHTTTT", Indeed.

    ReplyDelete